AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: How is your game going?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:52 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I appear to hit a glass ceiling

Have played to 2018 with Rotherham United and i appear to have hit a glass ceiling i don't seem to be able to break through, although this seaosn i might manage it.

I got out of League 1 and 2 at the first attempt as champions and took 3 attempts to get out of the Championship finishing 14th, 6th (losing in first round of playoffs) and eventual champions.

My Premiership season has gone fairly well after 1 season around mid table i've been top half every season even managing 4th once but not getting ECL because Newcastle who finished 9th won it.

I just can't seem to qualify for the Champions league which will allow me to sign one or 2 really good players and make a challenge on the title. I've got 7 games left of the 2017/2018 season and i am 6th on the same points as both west ham and chelsea who are 4th and 5th but i have a 7 worse goal difference to west ham and 4 worse than chelsea.

I have also qualified Tunisia for the 2018 world cup :)

Should be an interesting summer when i load it next tonight

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: How is your game going?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I havent played it to consistently tbh. I'm only midway through my third season. I've won the league twice and champions league once and UEFA Cup once :lol: First season I didn't make it through the group stages. At least i beat Barca to take the European super cup.

Nani has been brilliant for me getting 28 assist in the premiership last season. I have him and modric down the wings. Anderson and Inler in the centre. Jovetic and Rooney up front and Srna is the only change in the back 4. Akinfeev in goal.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:15 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I've found that since it became football manager it's very hard to take an average team to beyond the UEFA cup. I've had this problem in two seperate games as Bolton (both times I got to the CL but my board wouldn't increase my transfer budget of 2million and 4 million). Heppened when i got Cardiff to the premiership as well. Just couldn't bring in players to improve me beyond mid table.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:37 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I'm doing ok with Manchester United (my traditional first game) - top of the league, near the end of season one - but it's close. I switched tactics to classic to get the sliders back, didn't realise I'd loose the touchline shouts as well :doh: so will be starting again with it switched on... and knowing that's the plan is probably the reason I've not played it for a bit.

Hoping Jovetic comes good, spunked all my cash on him :rolleyes: :ronaldo:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

if you are a smaller club its vital you set up some commercial links with clubs once you get to the premier league, i wasted 2 seasons without doing it and my incoime has picked up a fair bit since i did.

My staff keep getting taken by bigger clubs and its damn annoying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:01 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I was 2 and a 1/2 seasons in, just agreed a transfer for Gourcuff to come to me in Jan for £16m, and my save game corrupted :(

Just started again with Barnsley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm 
Major General
Major General

I only got my grubby paws on it today, will start it Friday evening when the term finishes :fonz:

Any recommendations or any players I should watch out for? I've already noted down Jovetic...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:24 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Gourcuff is amazing, but you can only sign him at the end of the 1st year onwards :(

Dzeko is pretty good. As for keepers, any out of Adler, Neuer, Lloris, or the Russian bloke who is brilliant on every fm are as good as each other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:17 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

A good way to become a top team with limited resources is to develop youngsters. I always spend loads of time and money scouting good young players (especially Spaniards). If you can turn some them in world class players I either sell them which gives me the money to form a top team or I try and keep them (which usually means I spend everything on wages) and try and break into the top 4 that way. It worked for me with Weymouth, brought most of my players when I was in the Championship and got into the top 4 in my second season in the Premier League.

In developping players I find they improve the most, regardless of age if they get lots of first team football. So I try and loan them out as young as possible to the weakest team that makes an offer (that way they the most amount of games) :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:01 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
I stopped playing it after the first week. :|

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Fabian Delph is fantastic if he's in a good Youth System, a mate of mine had him at Arsenal and he was WPOTY 2 years running 2012/2013 and 2013/2014

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

Thanks for the tips... bring on Friday! :fonz:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Gokhan Inler has been supurb for me. Sakho is obviously one of the great prospects as always

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:06 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Just coming to the end of the 2013/2014 season with United. Gutted that I missed out on the league by a point, to City. 2 costly draws in my last to games, to City and Newcastle, both away.

Still, CL final against Ajax, and FA Cup final against Chelsea to come. Win one of those, and the season wont be a complete loss.

Actually, had amazing luck with some of the youngsters coming through. Went to check what they were rated as in the editor, in potential, all random, so just got lucky. Macheda and Welbeck are both world class forwards, Pogba is an absolute class act now, Rafael and Fabio are firmly cemented as leading full backs, Ravel Morrison has become a solid, if unspectacular, winger, and McGinty is a top CB. If I started a new game, they would probably all turn out crap :p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:18 pm 
Major General
Major General

Started with United, didn't get much chance to play... but a few comments nonetheless.

All the 'keepers recommended on this thread are impossible to buy. Every bid I've made for Akinfeev and Lloris has been rejected (bids were upwards of £20mill+) and I've just been quoted a price of £43mill for Neuer :blink:

On the upside I did manage to get Inler (which the fans weren't too happy about as I had to pay approx £25 mill for him) and Jovetic, who seems like a decent buy. Five games into the season and I'm unbeaten as of yet. :fonz:

I have couple of questions though...

Does declaring your interest in a player (or doing those other media interaction things about a potential transfer) make a difference?
And I've reverted to the old style tactics board, which one is better?

Think I may start afresh, my budget is leathered.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Unsettle a player and you'll get him for less. For example bid £14m for Jovetic it gets rejected declare interest and make the same bid and it may be accepted.

I much prefer the new tactic system

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am 
Major General
Major General

Decided to buy this on Saturday as Game were knocking it out for £20, despite having never been able to get into 09.

I think it's fair to say that this is a huge step up on 09, and really takes the series to a new level. I managed to beat Chelsea to the signings of Dzeko and Cassano, and also bought Kjaer... pretty much took my entire budget to get those 3, but they're all quality so should be well worth it. Only just got to the start of the season, won CS against Chelsea on pens, and been setting up scouting, coaching, etc.

That's on my second file, on the first I missed out on Dzeko, but bought Jovetic, Suarez, and Shawcross, while still trying to get a new RB into the club.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Well, just finished season one. Dzeko was my top scorer, followed by Owen and Cassano. Rooney was terrible every time he played, literally whatever instructions I gave him or whatever role he was assigned to he was terrible, averaged about 6.3 over the season which is only marginally better than the rating players start the game with.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the best from the Scouse lad? The only game he did well in was a cup match against Crystal Palace!!

If I can't get some decent form out of him then he might just have to follow Berb's out of the door.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I play Rooney as a 'complete forward' now days with Jovetic next to him in the 'Trequistera' role (SP) Nani as an AML Modric AMR. Hit 52 goals in 48 games.

Nani - Winger
Modric - Advanced play maker.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Devil_Spawn wrote:
Dzeko was my top scorer, followed by Owen

that tells me all I need to know.... <finishes the season below 'own goal'>

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next