Major

Highscores: 4
France are a fooking mess. :fonz:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The France Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Evra & Henry don't exactly look upset sitting on the bench.

Evra needs some rest anyway he has to play almost every game for us until Fabio stops getting injured :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well i can't wait to read the headlines (not in French though :p). Clichy gave that 2nd goal..but I'm glad Evra didn't play. He can take his frustration out in the opener vs Newcastle lol!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
France captain Patrice Evra has vowed to tell the French people the truth about what has happened this week, announcing he plans to hold a press conference in the coming days.

"I think this is not the time to give our accounts, but the time to apologise. This apology is for millions of French [people],” Evra told TF1.

“I wanted to do it yesterday but the coach [Raymond Domenech] would not let me,” continued Evra, possibly revealing the reason for his absence from yesterday’s press conference.

“I'll do a press conference this week. The French people need to know the truth because the team of France belongs to the French.

Evra, who informed Domenech that the team would not be training on Saturday following the exclusion of Nicolas Anelka, went on to confirm that the squad was unhappy with the treatment of their team-mate and that he will hold his press conference later this week.

“We were unhappy about the decision made for Nicolas Anelka, but you'll know everything very soon,” he said.

“I will detail everything in a press conference... You will know during the week.”

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:38 am 
Major General
Major General

Sounds like Gallas ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:

Thierry Henry will meet with France president Nicolas Sarkozy on Thursday following the national team's disastrous World Cup campaign.

The presidential palace confirmed the striker had called Sarkozy to request a meeting upon the team's return from South Africa.

"Henry called the president from South Africa to tell him that he wanted to see him on his return," a statement from the presidential palace, L'Elysee, read.

France exited the tournament following a 2-1 defeat to hosts South Africa on Wednesday.

That result followed a goalless draw with Uruguay and a 2-0 loss to Mexico as Les Bleus finished bottom of Group A.

Their performances, though, were overshadowed by extraordinary the goings on off the pitch, with Nicolas Anelka being sent home following a row with coach Raymond Domenech and the squad refusing to train for a day to show their unhappiness at the decision.

The squad have come in for heavy criticism from the French Football Federation and politicians alike for their actions.

I heard that the Queen has demanded to speak to Aaron Lennon too

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

France captain Patrice Evra has revealed an inquiry is to be opened by the French government into Les Bleus' disastrous World Cup campaign.

The squad flew back from South Africa on Thursday following a dismal performance where they mustered a solitary point from three games and gained notoriety for a training-ground boycott in protest at the decision by the French Football Federation (FFF) to send home Nicolas Anelka following a bust-up with coach Raymond Domenech.

Thierry Henry immediately went off to a meeting he had requested with France president Nicolas Sarkozy and Evra has now revealed the rest of the squad will also be questioned by politicians.

"An investigation will be opened by the ministry and all the players will be heard," he told TF1. "Each one of us will say what they experienced and will say the truth.

"Everyone will give some information from each angle and all sides."

Following France's exit Evra promised to spill all the details of their troubled time in South Africa.

However, he insists it is still not the time for his potentially explosive revelations.

"It's not the time to stoke up the pain of all the French people," he continued. "It's not today that you have to attack whoever it may be.

"No-one is clear-headed enough to say what really happened because the scar is still open and we are all hurting at the present time.

"We are all upset and beaten, but we have to lift our heads up and look to the future."

Evra also admitted the squad were wrong to boycott training but insisted the whole squad felt it necessary at the time.

He continued: "It was a clumsy gesture and we apologised for it. But let it be clear: it was a group decision.

"When there was this moment of hesitation where any one of us could have got off the bus, the group remained united, no-one wanted to get off and I tell you that with total honesty and I hope that everyone remains honest.

"We regretted the impact it had. But we were in such a state that sometimes, for love, you can do clumsy gestures."

Henry was more forthcoming in an interview to Canal+ shortly afterwards.

The France veteran admitted he felt "isolated" in the squad and spoke of a "sickness" at the heart of the World Cup camp.

"I could have been the older brother but I wasn't anymore," said Henry. "I felt isolated, it doesn't matter who by.

"They didn't talk to me as they used to. Before they talked to me more. But when you don't have credibility in a group any more it becomes difficult.

"I felt isolated and at a certain point, your pride takes a hit."

Henry believes the Anelka controversy was not the reason behind France's exit but rather the rot had already set in.

However, the Barcelona striker insists the squad were always united.

"I don't know whether the Anelka matter was the triggering factor," continued Henry. "There was certainly a sickness.

"But I don't think you can talk of clans. I can tell you that I never saw any fights, I didn't see anyone put any pressure on whoever.

"Decisions were group ones.

"The main reason for this fiasco is that we didn't play well.

"Unfortunately we entered into debates, invented stories...

"But we shouldn't look the other way. We weren't good enough.

"When a team wins everything can happen, when there are defeats doubt comes in and stories start getting invented."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:56 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

France stars to face hearing over World Cup strike

Five France players will face a French Football Federation (FFF) disciplinary hearing on Tuesday over the squad's strike at this summer's World Cup.

Patrice Evra, Nicolas Anelka, Eric Abidal, Franck Ribery and Jeremy Toulalan are the players in question.

France failed to win any games in South Africa, and the entire squad refused to train when Anelka was sent home after a bust-up with coach Raymond Domenech.

All 23 squad members were banned for France's following match as punishment.

Newly installed coach Laurent Blanc requested that no member of the World Cup squad be selected for a friendly against Norway in Oslo on 11 August, which France lost 2-1.

The FFF has also withheld World Cup advertising bonuses which were due to be paid to players.

Blanc, a World Cup winner with France as a player in 1998, will be hoping any further sanctions imposed on the summoned players will not impact on his team's Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, which begins against Belarus in Paris on 3 September.

The disciplinary commission's move to target the five players follows their review of an inquiry into the case.

Laurent Davenas, a member of the three-man commission, said "it would have been impossible to hear all 23 players. We tried to target some of them. We have the feeling that some players were kingpins."

In media interviews, a number of players, including captain Evra, have since expressed regret at the one-day strike.

"We were in such a state that sometimes, for love, you can do clumsy gestures," the Manchester United left-back said last month.

Chelsea striker Anelka was dismissed after being accused of an expletive-ridden tirade directed at Domenech during their 2-0 Group A loss to Mexico on 17 June.

At the time, French newspaper L'Equipe printed what it claimed was the specific language used in that dressing-room altercation, however Anelka is now attempting to sue the publication for libel, accusing it of distorting his words.

Evra accused a "traitor" within the party of leaking details of Anelka's rant to the media and of destabilising the squad.

That same day, television cameras captured the skipper in a heated exchanged with fitness coach Robert Duverne at the start of the scheduled strike-affected training session.

Lyon midfielder Toulalan admitted that his press officer had helped the players compose a letter, which Domenench later read to the media, explaining their strike.

Bayern Munich winger Ribery was a vice-captain at the tournament while Barcelona defender Abidal refused to play France's last group game against South Africa - a 2-1 loss to the hosts.