AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: En-ger-land
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Too true. I think Pirlo probably crushed anything he had over them mentally anyway.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
For me Ashley Coles was obvious. Everyone knew where he went. And if I knew Buffon definitely did.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:14 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe

91% - Danny Welbeck's pass completion rate of 91% at Euro 2012 is level with Mesut Özil and Andrés Iniesta. Prospect.

:wub:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:53 pm 
Major General
Major General

Well done danny ... with about 150 missiles thrown at you per game .. its very impressive stat .. all hail united :cheers:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
It says plenty about the low expectations held by everyone about anything to do with England that The Daily Mirror include the following in their 'Five reasons to be cheerful' feature, after England's exit.

'The 6,000 fans who are out in Ukraine did the country proud with their support and good behaviour.'

What, so 'not being c*nts' is something for the whole country to be proud of, is it? Good lord.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 am 
Major General
Major General

So you have taken o ver RJ job :wink:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:00 am 
General
General

pakrooney wrote:
So you have taken o ver RJ job :wink:

We did the same job, but yeah that's mediawatch - they were always already done when I used to log in before. :lol:

Amazing stat for young Danny there, 91% pass completion is pretty damn good which ever way you look at it. Impressive stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:46 am 
Major General
Major General

Comparing it to rooneys 54% it all looks more impressive.I really do hope he turns into drogba style player.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:58 am 
General
General

pakrooney wrote:
Comparing it to rooneys 54% it all looks more impressive.I really do hope he turns into drogba style player.

I'd not seen that stat... but I'm not too surprised, he did give the ball away a lot. In fact that's a terrible stat.

Waaaay too much pressure was put on Rooney tbf, with hindsight I think we'd have been better off keeping with the players that got us that far without him and introducing him gently, super sub or something, or a midfield - attack link might have worked better. :dunno:

Welbeck on the other hand, handled it like he'd been there 100 times already. He always seemed cool and collected and did well for us I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:28 am 
General
General

Rio Ferdinand criticises Roy Hodgson's England tactics and selections

• 'Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jones should have played more'
• Ferdinand claims England were too conservative at Euro 2012

James Riach - guardian.co.uk

Rio Ferdinand believes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Phil Jones should have had a more prominent role for England this summer. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths - The Fa/The FA via Getty Images

Rio Ferdinand has criticised Roy Hodgson's "conservative" approach and questioned his selection and tactics following England's exit from the European Championship.

Ferdinand previously expressed bemusement at Hodgson's decision to omit him from the squad for this summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine, where England fell at the quarter-final stage following a penalties defeat by Italy.

The Manchester United centre-half believes it would have been more beneficial had Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Phil Jones been put to greater use, claiming that little has been learned of the younger players ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

"If you take the youngsters to a competition like this, you should get them out there and see what they are made of. I am a fan of The Ox and I wanted to see more of him but in the end he finished up as a spectator. He was almost in the same position Theo Walcott was when he was picked for the 2006 World Cup," Ferdinand told the Sun.

"Phil Jones is one of the most adaptable players we have in our country and where was he? When we need to take the ball from midfield, run 40 yards with it and put the other team on the back foot, he is the man for the job.

"Instead, we stayed cautious and Jordan Henderson was used instead. That's not a criticism of Jordan, he is a different player to Phil, but I thought it showed we were being too conservative. It sends a message to the opponents that you are more interested in defending and playing on the counterattack than making them scared of you. The other thing is that Phil was in the squad before Jordan, who was a standby player.

"I'm reading a lot of stuff about how it's time to get the youngsters in and all of that but you only find out if they can do it when you throw them in there. What did we learn about Alex and Phil at this tournament? Do we know how much influence Alex can have on a game in a finals? He did fairly well against France, so why not persist with him and let him grow into it?

"As for Phil, we will now have to wait until the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, provided we qualify, to see how good he can be at the highest level. Expectations were low so the manager had a free shot to find out about our youngsters and I feel it was a missed opportunity."

Ferdinand, 33, believes the tactics employed by Hodgson did not allow for a great deal of flexibility and highlighted the "damning statistic" that revealed England's most successful passing combination was Joe Hart to Andy Carroll.

"The only time we really kept the ball properly was when Danny Welbeck dropped short to collect it and linked the play. But, usually, he was having to stay up and wasn't allowed to drop too much because we had set out a certain way with a 4-4-2 which didn't offer a great deal of flexibility," Ferdinand added.

"At United we play 4-4-2 but we also change it depending on how the game's doing to 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. It's OK saying we were very good defensively and hard to beat but if you set out to be defensive then that's your first priority. It makes it very hard for the attacking players in the team though.

"I'd love to see us running at other teams. I want to see Alex and Theo and Adam Johnson, who I thought should have gone too, causing problems instead of worrying about covering back as the first thought. And I want us to get Danny on the ball more like he does for United.

"The most damming statistic of them all was that one which showed our best passing combination was between Joe Hart and Andy Carroll. That would have been bad enough if Carroll had played the whole game but it's even worse when you realise he came on as sub after an hour. We are better than that – nobody can be proud of that stat."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Hart to Carroll being the best passing combination is a joke and half.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 am 
General
General

idontfeardeath wrote:
Hart to Carroll being the best passing combination is a joke and half.

You're not wrong, and it's pertty embarrassing really, especially when Carroll was only on the pitch for half an hour. :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's more damming of the players lack of ability than anything Hodgson did wrong. It's not his fault the likes of Young, Parker, Lescott, Rooney, Terry etc can't pass to team mates.

Think hes wrong about Ox, he did okay vs France but not so well he was suddenly undroppable..the only he could've kept starting was really to drop Young or Welbeck...I'm sure Rio would've criticised that decision then. Jones maybe could've got on for Parker but I don't think Roy ever intended him to be used in midfield..and we've seen through the season he can be too gung Ho...if he did that vs Italy, left a big gap and they scored on a counter he wouldve been blamed and his confidence battered. I don't think that's necessarily too cautious, its just logical from Roy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:34 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

An international manager can't coach players into being able to pass the ball by the time they get to him they're set in there ways what he can do now is hopefully bring in players who can pass the ball while remaining solid in his system.

The most worrying thing for me is that people seem suprised that this happened again just like it has in pretty much every tournament. England's advantage over the technical players used to be that we were fitter and the laws of the game allowed us to rough them up a bit. Well now the foreign players are just as fit as the English boys and the laws of the game mean if you touch them they'll win free kicks. England has been late adjusting to this change in the game it's happened at the top clubs the academy products now are so much better on the ball than previous generations.

What needs to happen is the change at the very bottom we need to invest millions into grass root clubs like my local club who run 1-2 junior teams from U6's all the way up to U16. The FA should be subsidising training courses for 1 or 2 coaches from clubs like that to go and get the proper coaching licenses. Teachers at schools should be aided to go and get the coaching licenses so when clubs start looking at these players at age 10 to take them into the academy setup they've nailed the basics.

They're comfortable on the ball and are used to playing in tight spaces no one screams at them if they give the ball away because they've tried to pass it. It's not just a case of the clubs coming along and picking the biggest and fastest kids but actually picking kids who are good on the ball.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:30 am 
General
General

England did 'okay' - Redknapp

Harry Redknapp has described England's Euro 2012 performance as "okay" and revealed he once tried to sign Mario Balotelli for Tottenham.

Redknapp: Once tried to sign Balotelli

England were beaten by Italy at the quarter-final stage in a game which starkly displayed their deficiencies, specifically an inability to retain possession and inferior technical ability.

For Redknapp footballing culture in this country has to change if England are ever to challenge.

He told Sky Sports News AGR: "We did okay. Roy (Hodgson) came in at a difficult time.

"We came out of the group which wasn't the most difficult group in my opinion and then didn't play very well against Italy.

"I don't think anyone expected a lot more but I still think we've got players in this country that are capable of doing a lot better and hopefully Roy will take them on now.

"He's got time to work with the team but I think it's long term.

"Unless someone sorts it out and we start playing and producing people that are technically better and are willing to play from the back and receive the ball and play like Italy played against us where they passed the ball - like the top teams in the world - they are never going to improve.

"The problem is they can set up Burton and have the kids there and work on their skills and on their technique. The problem is they then go to football clubs and it depends how the clubs play.

"If the clubs are not going to play it's no good having somebody who is going to be the new (Andrea) Pirlo and that kid goes to a club where they are lumping the ball from back to front 60 yards.

"Unless they are going to play through these people and they are going to encourage more and more teams to play football then we are always going to have that problem."

Redknapp, Betfair's football ambassador for Euro 2012, also expressed surprise that David Beckham has not been selected for the Great Britain team for the Olympics.

"I have to say that I would have picked him," he said.

"David has been a fantastic servant to all his clubs and a tremendous ambassador for football.

"He trained with Tottenham in January 2011 and we looked at signing him on loan when the American season ended. Putting him in the Olympics squad would not have hurt.

"Fair play to Stuart. He's always been his own man, which is what you have to be if you want to make it as a top manager. It's up to him to select the best squad at his disposal, that's what he believes he'll do."

Redknapp, meanwhile, has revealed he tried to sign Balotelli while he was Tottenham manager.

Balotelli guided Italy into the final of Euro 2012 on Thursday by scoring both goals in the 2-1 victory over Germany.

The 21-year-old is a volatile character and had a turbulent season although he ultimately secured a Premier League winners' medal with Manchester City.

Redknapp said: "You never know what you're going to get with Mario Balotelli but one thing is certain - he is a major talent.

"He stunned Germany in the Euro 2012 semi-final and his second goal was fantastic.

"I actually tried to sign him for Tottenham before he went to Manchester City. I'd admired him for a while and I went over to Italy to watch him play. I was impressed and I met up with him too.

"We wanted him on a loan deal but his club weren't keen and it never happened. Shame because he's definitely got it and, at only 21-years-old, he'll be terrorising defenders for many seasons to come."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17