AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: En-ger-land
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Good job media release a story saying even your own FA doesn't back you the day before the tournament starts.

Of course they've got a plane booked just in case do they think the players will want to hang around in Poland for a week after we got knocked out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Hodgson: "If it is the most torrid three weeks of my career I hope that it's for the right reasons.

"By that I mean because the players have let myself and the team down very badly, we have played very badly and that fair-minded people watching us are thinking, 'my God what are they doing?'.

What the hell is this??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Where's that from?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Got it on the BBC website.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
borocooper wrote:
Hodgson: "If it is the most torrid three weeks of my career I hope that it's for the right reasons.

"By that I mean because the players have let myself and the team down very badly, we have played very badly and that fair-minded people watching us are thinking, 'my God what are they doing?'.

What the hell is this??

If that's his idea of a motivational speech, what does he do to discourage them?! :blink: Kin 'ell Woy.

The man sounds defeated before we kick a ball. Great. :hmm:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:34 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm sure what he says to the press and to the players is very different.

He's probably right to play things down and keep expectations low considering we're missing a hell of a lot of players and even with everyone fit getting out of the group should have been considered a success.

All you hope is that if things go against us that we battle until the end and don't just give up.

We have a rotten record vs France can't even remember a draw against them since we last beat them in 1997 we were unlucky in 2004 when we should of beaten them but other than that the other times we've played them I remember getting quite easily beaten.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Having read the full article I don't think he's said much wrong TBH. From that one paragraph though, it's very easy to condemn.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Spawny wrote:
Having read the full article I don't think he's said much wrong TBH. From that one paragraph though, it's very easy to condemn.

I've not seen the article, but it does look bad from that bit. And you can always 'trust' bad journalists to repeat things out of context to sensationalise their story. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

All I know is..he often talks bollocks. Generally, I like the guy, but he said so many things at Liverpool that made me cringe..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he's setting himself up for failure so when we inevitably get knocked out the press wont be calling for his head.

England in a way are similar to Liverpool when he took over the squads a mess, the team hasn't been struggling, key players aren't available but yet the fans still expect you to deliver miracles.

I think he's the right man to lead this team into world cup qualification but it shouldn't be with a lot of these players you have to put the younger players in for the qualifiers to get them proper experience in games that matter.

This tournament he didn't really have the option of doing that for various reasons mostly injury but this has to be the end of this generation of players.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Every tournament we go into everyone heaps pressure on the team expecting them to win it and giving the team and manager hell if we don't.

Then this year all of a sudden the pressure is off and there is no expectation.

So how do the media deal with this? They all say, with the pressure off and expectation low maybe England will be able to win it!!!

So that'll be pressure back on then?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think you can see the difference just from watching the TV.

There's no big supermarket ads none of the get behind the boys cr*p you usually see other than the standard beer adverts.

I don't think the media are putting pressure on the team they've made a massive mountain out of the Rio Ferdinand thing because there wasn't really much else to talk about. They don't really know how to deal with this sort of level of expectation.

Maybe they're remembering growing up in the 70's & 80's when England qualifying wasn't always a given plus so just enjoy the fact that they've made the tournament and get behind the lads.

It'll be interesting to see how many England fans have actually gone out the hotels in Ukraine are incredibly over priced so I don't expect there to be anywhere near the sort of numbers we normally take out. I'm sure that f*cking band will be there though

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 am 
Major General
Major General

I'm sure at one point not too long ago the estimate was that only 3 thousand England fans were going. I'm sure the number will be higher than that in the end, but I don't think we'll have a great following out there.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He put pressure on himself by not picking Rio though..and then his dodgy reasoning behind it has made it worse. The press will just use that now. Plus Downing, Henderson etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

SSN done a piece on it yesterday. Apparently it's the first tournament in a long time that the FA have given tickets back to UEFA

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
He put pressure on himself by not picking Rio though..and then his dodgy reasoning behind it has made it worse. The press will just use that now. Plus Downing, Henderson etc..

People can burn on Downing and Henderson but what were the alternatives?

Adam Johnson barely played at Man City all season and didn't really feature in qualifying.

With Henderson well we were down to the bare bones next in line was probably Joey Barton or it would have been take a gamble and bring in some Swansea lads who excel playing a style of football England just aren't going to be playing. He was on the reserve list and got called up with both Barry & Lampard joined the injured list you can make a case for Cleverley but you have to remember he barely featured for Utd after Christmas.

As for Rio again how much did he play during qualifying? If we're going for a back to the walls style of defending is that really Rio's game? The whole football reasons thing was blown massively out of proportion why didn't anyone ask what the football reason was? If Hodgson came out and said that he's not the style of defender he wants as Rio is better suited to pushing high up the pitch and out thinking a defender rather than throwing his body in the way of everything that might explain why he picked Terry over Rio. There's also the injury thing in that both Rio & JT have injury problems so taking both is a huge gamble.

I think Rio was shafted but Hodgson was in a no win situation once he decided that he wanted to take Terry to the tournament.

Whatever happens at this tournament it all comes down to the FA's poor handling of the Terry affair by going over the managers head with that weak decision they forced Capello into resigning. This was just after we'd beaten Spain 1-0 and Sweden 3 months before the tournament for me they either stayed out of it or told Capello that Terry was going to be made unavailable until he'd had his day in court. I don't think Capello could have argued with that but what they did totally f*cked the dressing room in the same way that we had the captaincy issue in South Africa where we had JT trying to lead the team with Gerrard in the background.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:50 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Doesn't matter who's in the squad now...there are 23 guys out there who have a nation backing them.

And if we lose, Phil Jones can pull one of his funny faces and cheer us all up again.

COME ON ENGLAND!

MCFC - PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2011/12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

bet for England

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

“Alright guys, LET’S DO THIS!”

“Guys?”

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Headline from The Guardian Website, 12.59 on Sunday: 'Wayne Rooney seeks to dampen heightened expectations.'

Headline from The Guardian Website, 23.01 on Sunday: 'Wayne Rooney says England can win tournament.'

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next