AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: En-ger-land
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Off for a wander around Krakow with Glen Johnson and the missuses the other day, Scott Parker opted for an outrageous ‘yachting enthusiast’ look to tour the old town; combining classic gentleman’s knitwear (Dulux colour chart: Buttercup Sigh) with maritime chino shorts (Dulux colour chart: Mystic Azure Cavern) and a pair of dainty boating pumps…

Glen’s face in the last photo just about sums it up.

Anyway, nice try Scotty, but you’ll never be able to carry off ‘Regatta chic’ like the patron saint of the casually tossed cardigan: Ronseal’s very own Phil Brown…

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:43 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
:laugh: Scotty you muppet!!

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Anyone else concerned with the hype around the Rooney return?

I mean it seems to have gone a bit mental again we've given ourselves a good chance to get through and Rooney returning obviously is a positive but we've still basically got an away game against Ukraine who need a win so it's not a sure thing. All the papers though seem to be doing the usual thing of building Rooney up to be some sort of demi god who'll take us all the way now.

We got a pretty lucky draw with France and a flukey win vs Sweden in the words of Ali G "Keep it Real"

If we lose tonight and he doesn't score they'll be hanging Rooney outside Upton Park just like they did with Becks :hmm:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Spawny wrote:
:laugh: Scotty you muppet!!

See if you can guess who he is now?

Otter?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
Anyone else concerned with the hype around the Rooney return?

I mean it seems to have gone a bit mental again we've given ourselves a good chance to get through and Rooney returning obviously is a positive but we've still basically got an away game against Ukraine who need a win so it's not a sure thing. All the papers though seem to be doing the usual thing of building Rooney up to be some sort of demi god who'll take us all the way now.

We got a pretty lucky draw with France and a flukey win vs Sweden in the words of Ali G "Keep it Real"

If we lose tonight and he doesn't score they'll be hanging Rooney outside Upton Park just like they did with Becks :hmm:

It's mental, there's a double page Nike ad of him in the Sun, right in the middle of the paper, dubbed "my time is now" or something similar... it's madness, no matter how good a player is dragging a team that's not good enough to the title is an incredibly difficult thing, and Rooney isn't even on the level to do that.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:05 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Absolutely. The low expectations lasted all of 2 games. And after Rooney's recent form (club & country) I think they may be disappointed. Think a lot of United fans see his best position as a glorified poacher now. The press are building it up like suddenly his return means England will play some lovely free-flowing football when we can almost guarantee that won't be the case.

A national hate campaign over Rooney might not be such a bad thing - look at what happened to Ronaldo & Beck's after it happened to them! Could be the kick up the a*se he needs :thumbup:

I don't think the draw against France was lucky. The stats may have been one sided, but the game itself I think England were pretty comfortable, and limited France to mostly long range efforts, whereas England actually created some good chances on the counter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So would now be a bad time too say I think England win 4-0 tonight and Rooney gets a hatrick?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
Absolutely. The low expectations lasted all of 2 games. And after Rooney's recent form (club & country) I think they may be disappointed. Think a lot of United fans see his best position as a glorified poacher now. The press are building it up like suddenly his return means England will play some lovely free-flowing football when we can almost guarantee that won't be the case.

A national hate campaign over Rooney might not be such a bad thing - look at what happened to Ronaldo & Beck's after it happened to them! Could be the kick up the a*se he needs :thumbup:

I don't think the draw against France was lucky. The stats may have been one sided, but the game itself I think England were pretty comfortable, and limited France to mostly long range efforts, whereas England actually created some good chances on the counter.

The Nike campaign doesn't help things but that's just Nike being Nike they've got to hype him up as he's one of there biggest names.

Not wanting to go back over the France game we started well and created some chances but from the moment we scored they basically just played the ball around our box looking for openings. On set pieces Diarra had 2 great chances which we got away with after we scored did we even have a shot?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Should've just not started him..problem solved :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
The Daily Mirror informs us this morning that: 'England goalkeeper Joe Hart yesterday revealed he has been deliberately letting in penalties during training to boost his team-mates' confidence in case of a dramatic shoot-out.'

A couple of things - Joe Hart didn't really say that at all.

Here's what he did say, with tongue firmly in cheek, at his press conference on Thursday: "I'm going to say I've not saved one because everyone in the squad is brilliant at taking penalties in my opinion."

In addition, most other newspapers report that in Thursday's training session, eight penalties were taken by four players, all scored, but against Rob Green.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Pretty sure in a previous interview during the season he said that he'd never saved a Balotelli penalty in training because he's so good at them.

Getting in Mario's head months before a tournament well played Joe Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He's good in shoot outs isnt he? Hart I mean?

I remember him being quite...vocal, during one, that might've been that U21 game where he got booked and had to miss the final mind. So he might need to tone it down :lol:

He's a bit presence in those situations though..and he's usually got that big sh*t eating grin on his face during them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he was in goal back in 2007 when our U21's lost to Holland something like 14-13 so he's not that good.

He did get in a spot of bother for shouting at the penalty taker "Don't wait for me" during an England U21 tournament think he definitely got booked not sure if he missed the final because of it. He's all about the mental game on pens he'll do anything to get in a players head

You can say he's got presence but at the other end is Gianluigi Buffon a man who's won a world cup on a penalty shoot out & a man who is arguably the best goal keeper of his generation on par with Cassilas. I doubt the Italian players have got much time for Joe Hart he doesn't exactly striker fear into the top European strikers because he probably isn't that well known outside of England.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:54 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Hart Monitor

Now, Mediawatch AGR has been largely impressed with the way Joe Hart has played at the European Championships. He's kept goal very well.

However, The Daily Mirror comment that he has made fine saves in each of his three games, and use a picture of Marko Devic's effort that Hart got a hand to on Tuesday evening to illustrate the point.

Of course, this was the shot that flicked off Hart's hand and went behind the line, with England saved only by a possibly cross-eyed assistant official.

So credit, sure. But only where it's due, if you could.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:59 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Quick update on the movements of Nick Parker, chief foreign correspondent of The Sun, who regular readers will know has been largely ignoring world events to bring us advertorials for a well-known hair product and other such fun stories from the England camp.

Today, he - along with regular football bod Charlie Wyett - informs us that the England dressing room has a boombox in it again, while also passing on a summary from various travel price comparison websites.

Cheers, Nick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
I think he was in goal back in 2007 when our U21's lost to Holland something like 14-13 so he's not that good.

He did get in a spot of bother for shouting at the penalty taker "Don't wait for me" during an England U21 tournament think he definitely got booked not sure if he missed the final because of it. He's all about the mental game on pens he'll do anything to get in a players head

You can say he's got presence but at the other end is Gianluigi Buffon a man who's won a world cup on a penalty shoot out & a man who is arguably the best goal keeper of his generation on par with Cassilas. I doubt the Italian players have got much time for Joe Hart he doesn't exactly striker fear into the top European strikers because he probably isn't that well known outside of England.

Doesn't really matter who's at the other end..he's still got presence. I don't think it matters if they know who he is either (though I think he's going to be fairly well known as the keeper of the current Premiership champions)..his presence is all about what he's like in the goal, not his name. He's big, he's confident and I think he's got something in the way of mind games.

I never said he was good as Buffon..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:

Bingo - wasn't near to any :yay:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

To be fair to Hart he got close to the Balotelli one but the others there wasn't much he could do it's a lottery and the Italy players didn't give him the chance to save any of the pens. If he'd of guessed the right way he'd of probably saved the Diamanti penalty as it wasn't anywhere near the corner I didn't watch the replay so I don't know if he waiting for Hart to go and put it the other way but it was a pretty poor penality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Didnt look like he waited. Might've "give him the eyes" as they say.

He did possibly make one of their players miss though..had Young and Cole scored he would've been a winner on pens tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
Didnt look like he waited. Might've "give him the eyes" as they say.

He did possibly make one of their players miss though..had Young and Cole scored he would've been a winner on pens tonight.

You never know with penalties it's only a bad penalty if the keeper guesses the right way if he goes the wrong way and the ball goes in who cares. kiHart did his homework and chances are he went with the most likely destination for each players penalty obviously Pirlo tried something difference and I imagine Diamanti went the other way to where he normally puts them. It's a lottery at the end of the day and if your a keeper it's all down to luck you can't react to penalties you have to guess a direction try and read things in the run up and just hope that the player puts it somewhere you can save it.

If he'd of saved a penalty the misses might not of mattered :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next