It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trapper Tony's Green 'n' White Army
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
I think Fabregas' goal was the worst - 6 defenders and one attacker strolls through and buries it :blink:

one Spanish player in the box from the corner, and he scores!! :ohmy:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 am 
National Hero
National Hero

:nono: Right lads, we've seen enough of that clip now. Any more and i'm getting out the banhammer! :nur:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:23 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
It's pretty abysmal though fella... and we're just trying to highlight that to the Ireland players and management so they can improve upon it*

*may be jumping to the conclusion that Trap frequents AGR

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:25 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
the two running in weren't even picked up :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:34 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
At any level that is fookin pathetic. :no:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
I normally love watching Spain play but it was painful seeing them destroy the Republic of Ireland in Gdansk on Thursday.

I played for Ireland more than 100 times but I was never on the wrong end of a game as one-sided as that.

The closest I've come to it has come at club level when I've come up against teams like Arsenal and Manchester United.

When you are playing teams like that and not seeing a lot of the ball you retreat and sit off and try to nullify any spaces. Your mentality is to defend at all costs, with the hope you might snatch a goal from a set-piece or a breakaway.

Occasionally, it works but 99 times out of 100 you get beaten and, once Spain had gone ahead only four minutes in, I felt for the Irish players. They were up against the world champions, who were in relentless mood.

Some of the travelling Ireland fans asked me afterwards why we didn't close Spain down or make some tackles but the truth is it was so difficult to get close to the Spanish players because of the unconventional positions they take up on the pitch and their wonderful movement.

Defeat means Ireland are out of Euro 2012, and losing like that after being beaten by Croatia in the first group game has taken some of the gloss off being in a first major tournament finals for 10 years.

Even so, the fans seem determined to enjoy themselves.

Poznan was absolutely jumping before we played Croatia there last week and, judging from what I have just experienced in Gdansk, I don't think it will be any different when we are back there on Monday to play Italy.

You might think our two defeats would dampen the spirits but everybody still seems in party mode and they are here to enjoy the tournament as a whole.

They will be right up for it against the Italians, and there will also definitely be an incentive for the squad to get something from that game and salvage something from their time in Poland.

But more importantly now, looking forward, I hope the experience gives the players an appetite to push on and qualify for the 2014 World Cup too.

I really hope the team stays together to try to make Brazil.

I have already heard reports that Shay Given is considering international retirement but I don't think he should.

He is the Republic's number one, still playing in the Premier League with Aston Villa and still has a heck of a lot to offer to the squad as a whole.

At 36, he is not a young man but he has a great attitude still has another three or four years left in him. I will probably be speaking to him in the next few days and I will say the same to him then.

Those sort of questions are always asked players at times like this when you come to the end of a tournament or qualifying campaign, especially these days when the trend is to retire from international football to prolong your club career.

I think I was about 27 when I was first asked by a journalist whether I would be finishing playing for Ireland and, because they are all over 30, I am sure people like Robbie Keane, Damien Duff and Richard Dunne will be asked too.

I wanted to play at the top level for as long as I could and I hope those guys feel the same way too.

They have been some of Ireland's truly great players in recent times and I just hope they look at the Brazil World Cup as something to aim for as a final fling. Qualifying and playing in that would be a much better way to bow out, if that was what they wanted to do.

These are the thoughts of Zinedine Kilbane.

My view is that the senior players need to step aside and let the younger lads come through and play in qualification for 2014 they've had there shot and they've shown they're not up to the challenge. I'm not saying retire but senior players like Given, Dunne, Duff & Keane need to be told by Trapatonni that he'd still like them to be involved when required but that the younger players will be his priority.

This is the same cr*p in England we fail at a tournament then rather than try something new we do the exact same thing again. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again but expecting differnt results. You have to look in cycles this Irish team from 2008-12 did well reached the the finals for the first time in 10 years but you've got to move on and build a team that can grow over the next 4 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Murder On The Gdansk Floor :applause:

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Resurrection Joe wrote:

I laughed when I heard that on 5Live this morning

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spawny wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

:nur: i don't listen to R5L

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 pm 
Major General
Major General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Spawny wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

:nur: i don't listen to R5L

:lol:

Sorry RJ... it was very good... really :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Resurrection Joe wrote:

I think the word is pronounced gi-dansk so no need for the "the" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Giovanni Trapattoni has taken another swipe at Roy Keane after the former Republic of Ireland captain delivered a second damning assessment of the current team.

Ireland head into their final Group C fixture against Italy with their hopes of reaching the quarter-finals over after defeats by Croatia and Spain.

Keane, who struck a first blow in his role as a television pundit after Thursday night’s 4-0 drubbing by the reigning champions, was even more withering in his Sunday newspaper column, suggesting Trapattoni should make 11 changes for Monday's game.

The Ireland boss, well-known for his refusal to tinker with his team, has opted to make just one. He then rounded on former midfielder Keane.

‘He has been a great player and had great success. I don’t know if he achieved the same results as coach or manager,’ he told a press conference.

‘I think for [an] intelligent man, I can’t understand it.’

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Giovanni Trapattoni has hit back at claims that he was too loyal to his senior men during the Republic of Ireland's woeful Euro 2012 campaign.

Keeper Shay Given, 36, and 31-year-old skipper Robbie Keane, the nation's two most-capped players, in particular were unable to reproduce their best form in Poland and Ukraine as Ireland slipped out of the competition having failed to claim a single point.

But Trapattoni said: "When you do your job well - until now, I think they have played well for our country, and we must have a reason.

"In your job, when you get old, if they gave you a pension and say. 'Go' without respect, what would you think?

"It's not loyalty only, it's correct. We asked them yesterday for a good performance and we played very well. We played at the same level as Italy.

"We need a reason to change it on the pitch. [Aiden] McGeady played well, [Kevin] Doyle played well, also Robbie.

"It's not loyalty, it's respect because they helped us to achieve qualification"

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Robbie Keane's only 31 :ohmy: and he's at LA Galaxy & playing like a 37yo

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:47 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Riot cop thanks serenading Irish fans

Natalia Rogodzinska /YouTube

A female riot cop who was serenaded by Irish fans at Euro 2012 has thanked them for turning her into an internet sensation.

Footage of the uniformed WPC in Poznan, Poland, blushing while the fans sing 'We Love You' just a few feet from her has already been viewed by more than 1.2 million people on YouTube.

The police officer - now identified by local media as 23-year-old WPC Natalia Rogodzinska - said: "Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my life.

"I'm very flattered, it was great fun and the Irish fans were great fun too."

Natalia - who is married to a security company manager Marcin Rogodzinski, said all the attention had made her husband a bit jealous - especially when she was getting invited to Ireland.

She said: "The fans kept giving me their phone numbers and asking me to come to Ireland and he did get a bit jealous - but I can deal with that."