AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Am I Paying For.... Polkraine Edition
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Roy Hodgson is asked by The BBC's Gabby Logan if he was surprised by the reaction to the Rio Ferdinand farrago:

"No I don't think it surprised me."

Roy Hodgson is asked by The BBC's Mike Ingham if he was surprised by the reaction to the Rio Ferdinand farrago:

"I was somewhat surprised when the debate arose again."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mark Lawrenson had a hell of an evening on Saturday, commentating on the Germany v Portugal game.

Among the assorted other pearls of nonsense and general punch-yourself-in-the-face miserablism (we find ourselves warming to Alan Shearer, if only because he looks happy to be there), the old boy found it appropriate to say, when the camera panned to a chap in one of those black full-body stocking things 'Is that Eric the Eel?' Have a look here, in fact.

However, our favourite was when Lawro found time to have a little pop at Lukas Podolski, born in Gliwice, Poland, for not representing the country of his birth.

This would be the Preston-born, 39-caps-for-Ireland Mark Lawrenson.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

"It's the best story ever, i'm not kiddin" Alan Hansen, Ukraine 2-1 Sweden

:hmm: .....no it isn't

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Come on Joe... ageing, injury prone, virtually written off striker pops up to score the equaliser and then winner for his country in the European Championships in front of their home crowd... only thing that could've made it better is if it was in the final :D

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Commented Alan Green, on BBC Radio 5Live, before the England game:

"Someone choke that bloke on the Tannoy! For goodness sake!...Is he on an ego trip or what?!"

Satire is dead, people.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not that I want to hear Alan Green's voice but I'm totally on board when the idea of

1) stopping stadiums drown out fans with ridiculously loud PA systems pumping out the latest Black Eyed Peas song.

2) Playing goal music when teams score that guitat rift from the white stripes song (can't remember the name) code for blind people in Europe to let them know a goals been scored? I want to hear fans cheer and go bat sh*t crazy not some guy play a guitar.

3) Roy Keane & Vieira putting down their weapons and joining together to beat the living snot out of Adrian Chiles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

were Jonathon Pearce & Mark Lawrenson sent from Hell? :rant:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Pearce is alright but Lawro is a joke and has been for a long time.

Have you seen David James on the highlight show? He's a f*cking clown suggested we drop Young for the France game and that Petr Cech dropping that clanger vs Greece was because of new gloves

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Commented Alan Green, on BBC Radio 5Live, before the England game:

"Someone choke that bloke on the Tannoy! For goodness sake!...Is he on an ego trip or what?!"

Satire is dead, people.

He said after the France game " England can hardly call that a championship winning performance - I for one was very disappointed" and a little while later said " It's been obvious, even before the tournament started that England won't win."

So which way do you want it, fatface?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Pearce absolutely gutted there's a game interrupting his attempts to sensationalise Robben's exit

'he's walking right in front of the Dutch fans'.... what you want him to do.... hover, swim, burrow???

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Also did team a favour go off on other side of the pitch allowing Kuyt on so don't waste any time.

Then shock horror take off your hot sweaty shirt and carry it as you take the long route back to the dugout.

Bet he clapped the fans as he was walking round.

That b*stard

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:14 am 
National Hero
National Hero

:lol: I'm glad somebody else picked up on that tw@t and his attempts to slag Robben off for trying to get the game moving quickly in the 83rd minute when his team were 2-1 down! I'm no great Robben fan but he did feck all wrong.

And that other tosser Lawrenson earlier guffawing in the background about the "millionaire referee" etc. I'd love to throw him off the commentary gantry. w@nker :rant:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I noticed that, they couldn't wait to batter him all night. I think he should have shut his eyes, strained really hard and tried to blow his head up like in scanners.

Pearce (not sure of spelling) is up there with Green in my hatred of commentators though. He is always slagging united. In fact by the end of that game I was certain Robben was a united player.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I quite like Pearce but he's getting worse seems to be getting more cynical when he first came about he got really into it and was very excitable. It's like being around Lawro has taken the fun out of football I'm not even sure Lawrenson likes the game anymore it sounded like Pearce was there just to try and make the moaning g*t laugh.

It's a tough job co commentary but I think in England people have misunderstood the role you're not there to be a personality your there to add a bit of tactical insight that the main commentator hasn't picked up. Let the main guy commentate on the game who's in possession and what not you just watch the game and pick up things that we can't see on the TV cameras.

That Robben stuff last night was a complete joke made him out to be some sort of villain don't remember him fluffing any chances, he was playing against arguably the best full back in world football in Lahm, put a chance on a plate for Sneijder, got his head cut open challenging for a header got it stapled up on the sideline and got back on the pitch, didn't sulk or strop when subbed.

There's a lot of things not to like about Arjen Robben but you can't say he didn't try and help the team last night.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 am 
Major General
Major General

I used to like Pearce too, and agree that he seems to be getting more cynical. Thing is, nobody seems to actually be checking on the quality of what's being broadcast in terms of whether it's informative, accurate, entertaining, and unbiased... otherwise we'd be without the likes of Green, Lawrenson, etc.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:20 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spawny wrote:
I used to like Pearce too, and agree that he seems to be getting more cynical. Thing is, nobody seems to actually be checking on the quality of what's being broadcast in terms of whether it's informative, accurate, entertaining, and unbiased... otherwise we'd be without the likes of Green, Lawrenson, etc.

It's very hard to judge football as the alternative is not watching the game which for a lot of people isn't an option so they don't have an audience who have an alternative. It's not a choice like watching the Voice or Britains got Talent where shows are in direct competition with each other.

The only time you can ever really see who's the more popular is the final which will be on both channels.

BBC will always be at a disadvantage because they don't have the budgets of ITV or Sky because they're subject to license payer scrutiny. I think in Lineker they have the best host presenter of all the TV stations some of the choices of pundit are just strange.

My biggest problem with the way football is broadcast on BBC/ITV is that they talk to football fans like they're idiots and for me they dumb it down to much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 am 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
It's very hard to judge football as the alternative is not watching the game which for a lot of people isn't an option so they don't have an audience who have an alternative. It's not a choice like watching the Voice or Britains got Talent where shows are in direct competition with each other.

The only time you can ever really see who's the more popular is the final which will be on both channels.

BBC will always be at a disadvantage because they don't have the budgets of ITV or Sky because they're subject to license payer scrutiny. I think in Lineker they have the best host presenter of all the TV stations some of the choices of pundit are just strange.

My biggest problem with the way football is broadcast on BBC/ITV is that they talk to football fans like they're idiots and for me they dumb it down to much.

I accept that, it's a fair point, but I still think it should be possible to have some sort of focus group or something to see what people think of the coverage, and the pundits involved in it.

It goes beyond budgets though, why don't the BBC push Lee Dixon into a more prominent role? He's far better than Lawrenson or Shearer are, he's actually informative as opposed to just mimicking what Hansen just said. There are also some good commentators / pundits on 5Live, but the BBC seem to stick with the same old faces for TV coverage instead of giving the younger guys a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:31 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I don't like Lineker either.

I think the whole of the BCC set up needs changing. Still it could be worse, could be in ITV's position.

I still think they should get James Richardson. Although I've seen his local football show on regional BBC and it wasn't great. I guess budget is an issue there though.

I think it's a bit too old boys club. Shearer is terrible.

Richardson with Seedorf and some other would make a decent MoTD team. I'm always impressed with Seedorf.

Dixon is ok I agree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:52 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I f**king hate Lineker, think he's an awful presenter. Made me laugh a few months ago on Motd when the vidiprinter broke and he was like a rabbit in the headlights, is he really too braindead to think of an interesting question to ask one of the 'pundits', that's his job done, up to them whether they say anything interesting or not.

Would love James Richardson to present football on Sky or BBC. Like Mr C said, the whole BBC set up needs completely changing. Get Souness, Keane, Seedorf, Dixon and Gullit as pundits, that'd be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am 
Major General
Major General

Richardson is great, I'd also be happy if they put Mark Chapman as the main presenter as I think he's very good on 5Live. Can't stand Linekar either :lol:

I think that Hansen is ok, when he can be bothered, but he's getting a bit stale and doesn't seem to be enjoying it anymore. Other than him the usual MotD line-up sucks. There must be other people around who want to get into punditry and have more relevant recent knowledge of the game. FFS, get Robbie Savage on if you can't find anyone better!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next