AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: England Vs Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Riquelminho wrote:
Johnson and Young were atrocious. Milner and Parker painfully average. Against better sides Parker will be eaten alive.

Against Ukraine, I'd like to try out:

Hart

Jones, Terry, Lescott, Cole

Walcott, Gerrard, Milner, Welbeck

Rooney, Carroll

A 4-4-2 with the option of switching to 4-3-3/ 4-5-1.

Johnson was probably England's best defender tonight. :blink:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Toast and Bananas wrote:
Johnson was probably England's best defender tonight. :blink:

You sure you were watching the same game? :p

He didn't hold his line and played Mellberg onside for his first goal, and then lost Mellberg again for the Swedes' second. I'd say he was the worst!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:34 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:21 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
:lol:

DWelbz :cool:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:06 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Great pic. :lol:

Serbinator wrote:
DWelbz :cool:

Welbeck scored a great goal, deserved it too. :thumbup:

Still can't see why Lescott got picked ahead of Rio, goal or not he's half the player Ferdinand is. :blink:

It'd be nice to squeeze Jones in, be great experience for him. If he doesn't replace Johnson, then maybe he can replace Lescott? :rolleyes:

Dunno about leaving Rooney out, depends what sorta form he's on in training but you ignore talent like that at your peril imho - it's not like we've got any other world class players fighting for his spot! Be good if he could play behind Welbeck/Carroll, 'cause I think they've earned their places in the team. Don't know who the midfield three would be behind him though, would Gerrard or Parker be enough of a defensive shield on their own?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Major General
Major General

I wasn't watching very closely last night, but from what I saw Carroll didn't really do much. He's just such a donkey.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Serbinator wrote:
I wasn't watching very closely last night, but from what I saw Carroll didn't really do much. He's just such a donkey.

He did score... though he is a donkey! He did well with all the balls in the air, though that won't work well against a team liek Spain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:07 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Two great goals from Welbeck and Carroll. I thought Gerrard had a good game. A bit like his old self that we haven't seen for a while. Young was terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

breakingintoheaven wrote:
Two great goals from Welbeck and Carroll. I thought Gerrard had a good game. A bit like his old self that we haven't seen for a while. Young was terrible.

:blink: The marauding no-position hollywood Gerrard? I think not - seems he finally matured - probably forced maturity thru age and the injuries but he held his position, which is why he played well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

We nearly made a right mess of that but got out of jail in the end.

That is what Walcott is good for late in games opposition is tired unleash the quick lad.

That finish from Dwelbz was awesome

That was one of the best games I've seen Gerrard have in an England shirt.

Not gonna get carried away we beat a pretty average side by the skin of our teeth.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Serbinator wrote:

No way, he was good last night. Plenty of nice touches, linked up well with Welbeck, great great header, bullied their defenders all night long anyway.

I know we don't have any world class players competing with Rooney, but he's hardly been world class of late...nor has he ever really turned up for England since 2004. I'd give him time on the pitch but, as I said before, had he not kicked someone for no reason he'd be in the team already, unfortunately he's an arse. Carroll and Welbeck deserve the start..Rooney deserves to wait.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Rooney scored pretty much all the goals that qualified us for the World Cup which he wasn't fit for then scored all the goals to get us to the euros.

I thought Carroll did alright last night but that game last night was crazy like a premiership game. Against Ukraine Rooney will come back into the side and because of there partnership at Utd it will be for Carroll.

For me we should keep Carroll as plan B

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

I'm going to watch the game again tonight, will be in a better position to comment then.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
No way, he was good last night. Plenty of nice touches

I know we don't have any world class players competing with Rooney, but he's hardly been world class of late...nor has he ever really turned up for England since 2004. .... deserve the start..Rooney deserves to wait.

Are the 3 very good jokes?

Carroll was very poor and should have been subbed off much earlier had it not been for Young being so useless. He gave away a needless free kick for the Sweden goal.

Rooney hasn't done anything since 2004? He got 3 maybe 4 goals in that competition? His 24 goals since say otherwise.

Rooney should wait? Wait? Wait? Wait? What the hell are you thinking? leave the best England player by a country mile to wait on the bench? I'm sorry but with the last joke you went to far. I'll tell you what. Must win games. Barca should leave out Messi. Madrid should leave out Ronaldo. United should leave out Rooney. Arsenal should leave out RVP....Just making similar sort of jokes.

EDIT: I'm gonna apologize for this post. My point was correct but my terms of writing were very drunken.

But with age my hopes have faded

Last edited by idontfeardeath on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:20 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
borocooper wrote:
No way, he was good last night. Plenty of nice touches, linked up well with Welbeck, great great header, bullied their defenders all night long anyway.

I know we don't have any world class players competing with Rooney, but he's hardly been world class of late...nor has he ever really turned up for England since 2004. I'd give him time on the pitch but, as I said before, had he not kicked someone for no reason he'd be in the team already, unfortunately he's an arse. Carroll and Welbeck deserve the start..Rooney deserves to wait.

Carroll was poor, other than his goal.

How many goals has Rooney scored this last two seasons? Yeah, he may not be living up to all the hype, but he's shed loads better than the other donkeys England have.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He was not poor at all, this is ridiculous. He did everything he was asked to do. He scored, he won everything he could in the air, he linked up fairly well, he even played a couple of nice little passes through to Welbeck. He gave away a free kick..that's unfortunate and silly, but to be fair, it wasn't him who conceded the goal, the defence were abysmal for that.

Yes Rooney has scored plenty of goals, which is great, he also got sent off for kicking someone for no reason. Half the people on here were all for not even taking him a few months back ffs. I'm pretty sure JSP was one of those actually.

I'm not saying we won't necessarily play better with him in the side, I'm not saying he wont score goals for the side, I'm saying I don't think he deserves to start ahead of the two strikers who scored a goal each and played well together. If we're playing sh*te vs Ukraine then let's get him on and see what happens.

It's also not a joke when I say he's not really been "world class" for a good while either, some of you United fans seem to have short memories to be honest. All i've read on here from a lot of fans is that he's been poor but kept popping up with goals. He hasn't performed exceptionally well for England for a long time either, again yes he's grabbed goals, but he's not played that well. I remember being very very good at Euro 04, okay at World Cup 06 and then got himself sent off, we weren't at 08, he was poor in 2010 and slagged off the fans...not that he was the only one who has been poor, but the point remains.

As always, if all we go on is stats, then let's get Crouch back in the side. His goal tally stacks up with the best of them at the moment..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

Carroll gave away quite a few free kicks, including 2 in the opening minute IIRC, and the one from which Sweden scored wasn't just a foul, it was a stupid lunge. His all around play was okay, nothing outstanding, he took his goal well.

Rooney has declined over the last season or so, his all around game has deteriorated, but his goal scoring has improved.

I don't think that Carroll has done well enough to say that he should automatically retain his place, the call should be made on what the players have done in training as well, and the fact that Rooney plays with Welbeck at club level lends a little strength to his case for playing.

You also have to look at the opposition, Carroll played vs Sweden as they've conceded a lot of headers, and he gave us strength in that area, maybe Hodgson feels that vs Ukraine we're better off having the ball on the deck, and that Rooney offers more threat from that perspective.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

You can't really use 'Carroll played the last game and Rooney got a stupid red card so doesn't deserve to play' as a reason when, without checking, I don't think Carroll played a single game in qualifying and Rooney probably played every one he was available for. On that basis of who deserves to be there, Carroll shouldn't even be in the squad.

*As I said, haven't actually checked any of that, so if it's complerely wrong I apologise :p

edit: I realise on that basis Welbeck doesn't deserve to be there either, hence why I don't think it's logic to use who 'deserves' to be there as a basis for selection.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I believe Carroll's previous caps came in friendlies with France & Ghana.

I think Carroll deserved to go but to say he should be picked ahead of Rooney is ridiculous his goals got this team to the tournament.

Yes he was pretty poor at WC 06 & 10 but lets not forget the fact that he was injured before both tournaments and clearly wasnt fit.

For me Rooney coming back is a must it gives us a player who can play between midfield and attach to link things together but it would be harsh on either striker to get dropped

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
I believe Carroll's previous caps came in friendlies with France & Ghana.

I think Carroll deserved to go but to say he should be picked ahead of Rooney is ridiculous his goals got this team to the tournament.

Yes he was pretty poor at WC 06 & 10 but lets not forget the fact that he was injured before both tournaments and clearly wasnt fit.

For me Rooney coming back is a must it gives us a player who can play between midfield and attach to link things together but it would be harsh on either striker to get dropped

You did say he probably shouldn't even get picked for the squad though didn't you? Because of his sending off?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next