AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: England Vs Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Can't really remember I might of said it early on as a reaction but once it became clear he was being picked you've got to play him otherwise what's the point?

We have to go for the win a draw will do but we'll need Rooney in the 1/4 finals if we go through. He is our best player so for me it's a no brainer.

However, if he did stick with the 2 from the other night you can't really complain as they both played ok and both scored

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well going from memory i'm sure it was you I debated with for a couple of days :lol:

I said I would take him and use him if necessary, but if we were scoring goals without him then I wouldn't rush to start him(more or less).

I think you, or someone else from here if not, said something along the lines of "why should we take him? He can't play the first two games and if we're playing alright anyway he shouldnt get in, it'll create a media circus around him"..etc..something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Who is the best player England have?

Should Englands best player play?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:53 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Anyone who's going to Pick Andy Carroll over Wayne Rooney wants their head testing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:38 am 
Major General
Major General

idontfeardeath wrote:

Ashley Cole? :shrug:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
Well going from memory i'm sure it was you I debated with for a couple of days :lol:

I said I would take him and use him if necessary, but if we were scoring goals without him then I wouldn't rush to start him(more or less).

I think you, or someone else from here if not, said something along the lines of "why should we take him? He can't play the first two games and if we're playing alright anyway he shouldnt get in, it'll create a media circus around him"..etc..something like that.

I'm pretty sure my stance on the whole thing was if we're playing well he shouldn't just walk back into the side but I'dRo argue we're not playing that well. Against France we just defended our penalty box for 70 minutes and that game vs Sweden was like a premier league game between 2 mid table sides each team just trying to smash there way through.

My initial hope was that with everyone fit that we could try Gerrard in behind the striker which is where I think he's been at his best for Liverpool. Injuries mean that we have to try and get him to be disciplined in midfield and he was excellant at that vs France.

I don't think the team has played well enough to justify leaving him out we've not been able to keep possession and one reason is we've been very direct to our strikers as the midfield have no real link to them.

I don't expect Rooney to come in and suddenly we'll be like Spain/Germany but he should be able to give another dimension to our play and we might see some combination play from our strikers. Ukraine from what I've seen struggle with good movement that's how France opened them up so I'd use Rooney and if doesn't work bring on the Carroll battering ram.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Again...an average performance from an average team, who beat an even more average team.

England will probably go further than ever before due to the fact that nobody expects us to get anywhere! :lol:

So many players just lack quality that you need at International level.

I thought Carroll did well...he did everything you could want him to. Welbeck's goal was a beauty...he definitely looked a different player when he has another striker up there with him. Milner and Young were just painful to watch at times.

Our defence was shakey, and would have conceded a few more than 2 against a decent side.

As for the Rooney debate, I'd start him. Instead of Young. Go for the win, and top the group. Avoid Spain at all costs.

MCFC - PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2011/12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:25 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You'd put Rooney on the wing or would you move Welbeck out wide?

I genuinely can't remember the last time Rooney had a good game out on the wing.

I agree Young has been pretty poor in his 2 games so far but I wouldn't drop him because he is normally pretty poor for a lot of the game but he can score a goal and we need goal scorers on the pitch.

Well the likely outcome at the moment if we go through would be a 1/4 final with Spain so I think that would be where our story ends.

The only change I'd make would be Rooney in for Carroll and the only reason behind that is that Rooney/Welbeck have a good understanding of each others game and link well together. If that's not working change it up and stick Big Andy in there and just float balls in for him to attack.

The problem as always is the midfield they can't carry the ball forward as they don't have the energy to do it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:31 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

JSP wrote:
You'd put Rooney on the wing or would you move Welbeck out wide?

I genuinely can't remember the last time Rooney had a good game out on the wing.

I agree Young has been pretty poor in his 2 games so far but I wouldn't drop him because he is normally pretty poor for a lot of the game but he can score a goal and we need goal scorers on the pitch.

Well the likely outcome at the moment if we go through would be a 1/4 final with Spain so I think that would be where our story ends.

The only change I'd make would be Rooney in for Carroll and the only reason behind that is that Rooney/Welbeck have a good understanding of each others game and link well together. If that's not working change it up and stick Big Andy in there and just float balls in for him to attack.

The problem as always is the midfield they can't carry the ball forward as they don't have the energy to do it

I'd whack Welback out wide.

That said, I think Roy will just do a straight swap, and play Rooney up to with Welbeck.

I would play something like this:

-----Hart-----
GJ--JT--JL--AC
----SG--SP---
JM---WR---DW
------AC------

I would also be tempted to drop Milner in where Parker is, and play Oxlade-Chamberlain or Walcott (if fit) on the right. Play Carroll as an out and out CF, with Rooney and Welbeck behind him, who can push forward in attack, whilst being able to drop back when England aren't in possession.

Trust me, I won the Euros with England on FM2012 over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:35 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Monty wrote:
Trust me, I won the Euros with England on FM2012 over the weekend.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:35 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I like Walcott as an impact sub i've never seen him have a good 90 minutes he's got 20 minutes where he influences the game then he dissapears for the rest.

I think Milner is just there to protect Glen Johnson and also cover him when he goes forward Walcott doesn't have the mentality to do that.

Ideally I'd like us to be able to freshen up the midfield but we have no real options and despite the fact that I don't really rate them I think they've done alright in the 2 games so far think we'll just have to play them until they collapse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:47 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

JSP wrote:
I like Walcott as an impact sub i've never seen him have a good 90 minutes he's got 20 minutes where he influences the game then he dissapears for the rest.

I think Milner is just there to protect Glen Johnson and also cover him when he goes forward Walcott doesn't have the mentality to do that.

Ideally I'd like us to be able to freshen up the midfield but we have no real options and despite the fact that I don't really rate them I think they've done alright in the 2 games so far think we'll just have to play them until they collapse.

I agree...Walcott is more effective coming off the bench, and that Milner is definitely more adept at dropping back and supporting the full back.

Parker isn't fit enough to play 90 minutes...he always looks knackered! Phil Jones should be a consideration as well, would certainly add a lot more energy in front of the back 4.

Gerrard led like a captain on Friday, hope he does so again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Monty wrote:
I agree...Walcott is more effective coming off the bench, and that Milner is definitely more adept at dropping back and supporting the full back.

Parker isn't fit enough to play 90 minutes...he always looks knackered! Phil Jones should be a consideration as well, would certainly add a lot more energy in front of the back 4.

Gerrard led like a captain on Friday, hope he does so again tomorrow.

I think Hodgson see's that as a weak side as he's also got Terry playing on the right of the CB's whereas he normally plays on the left side. So he's trying to reinforce that weak side as much as possible.

Problem with Jones is he's a bit of a headless chicken you can play him in a 3 but as a 2 I think Parker & Gerrard work well basically just screening in front of the back 4 then when the opposition get close enough to the goal they snap into the tackle and hit the forwards.

I think the whole team starts blowing around 70 minutes Parker, Gerrard & Milner all put in a ridiculous shift as they're normally out numbered so they have to work so hard and in the centre of midfield the reinforcements are Henderson & Jags so Hodgson is reluctant to throw them in.

Gerrard was class on Friday one of his best games in an England shirt but I bet Hodgson was going mental when 3-2 up in the 93rd minute when someone goes down the wing and Gerrard makes a 40 yard burst to get on the end of the cross only to hit the keeper. Luckily nothing came from it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Spawny wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

:lol: Well said.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mr Carrot wrote:
Anyone who's going to Pick Andy Carroll over Wayne Rooney wants their head testing.

Normally I wouldn't even consider it. It was just purely on the fact that I think he played well..and he scored.

If the tactics are to change then I guess it makes sense to drop him..but as we are sh*te and can't really play on the floor much anyway, having him on seems reasonable to me.

You never know..he might surprise us all and drop Welbeck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:14 pm 
Major General
Major General

borocooper wrote:
Spawny wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

:lol: Well said.

:wink: thank you.

Pains me to say it, but I do think Cole is probably the best player England have got, certainly on current form.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Can just see Rooney having a shocker after so many have ridiculed BC for saying he shouldn't be brought back in :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I'd agree. He's been very consistant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Hart is Englands best player, he is about the only one that would walk into any of the worlds top sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

borocooper wrote:
I'd agree. He's been very consistant.

He's been consistent too... shockingly so. he'll be rubbish but score at least one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next