AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: England Vs Ukraine
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Fresti wrote:
Don't you tend to support Germany at international level, even though you're from Manchester? At least I'm half English. :p

I like them, yeah, but not enough to be disappointed if they lose, or refer to them as 'we' :P

So far I'm just enjoying the tournament, it's been good. And as much as it pains me to say it, I'm glad England avoided Spain because that match would be a pretty poor spectacle. Not sure if Italy will be any better, but at least their manager plays strikers! :doh:

I didn't know you were half English btw, fair enough.

It's not my cup of tea though!

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I thought we were slightly the better side, so deserved the win. Getting Italy instead of Spain isn't much of a freebie though lol :rolleyes: But we have a chance if we play to our best, there's a new hunger about these new England players, maybe they don't want the same treatment as previous England players lol, I dunno - but I think we could beat Italy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
That's it lads... we're gonna win it now, Germany, Spain, Italy... they can all go home cos England are on the march... the hype train is back on track, and none too convincing wins over Sweden and Ukraine surely prove we're the best side in the world :coffee:

At least if you listen to the 606 phone in

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The positive in getting Italy is they play more at a pace that we can handle they're not as slow as they used to be but it's not the tiki-taka Spain stuff where Xavi & Iniesta would lead Parker & Gerrard on a merry dance all over Ukraine.

I still don't think we've played particularly well but we're getting results and things seem to be going our way I'd say there are slight improvements in every performance but the next game is going to be tough. We've sat off teams a lot in this tournament but in Pirlo Italy have a player who can unlock the door of even the tightest defence with his passing something we've not really had to deal with so far from deep positions.

The good thing is this England team despite containing quite a few of the South Africa Flops almost seem likeable again probably because JT isn't doing any interviews and they actually look happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Spawny wrote:
That's it lads... we're gonna win it now, Germany, Spain, Italy... they can all go home cos England are on the march... the hype train is back on track, and none too convincing wins over Sweden and Ukraine surely prove we're the best side in the world :coffee:

Oh no... that's not started again has it? :lol:

It always amuses me those who always expect that we'll win 'cause The Sun or whoever said we would lol. I think we have a chance is all, new manager, new approach and all that, plus he's got some international experience so the players should be prepared properly etc. And I'm inspired a little by the impact of some of the newbies like Welbeck, Walcott, even Carroll at times. That doesn't mean I expect England to march to the final though, we'll have to earn that right and it'll be the fight of their lives to progress, especially now the opposition just got much stronger (with respect to Ukraine).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Oi. We're playing poorly and getting results. Isn't that the sign of champions? :lol:

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It does my head in as well but there's no point being there if you don't have the intention of winning it but for me there should be no mention of potential semi final opponents as that game doesn't matter unless we get past Italy a team who so far I've been pretty impressed with.

We've done really well to get out of the group as results went our way meaning that after the France game both teams we played had to attack us which meant we could sit and play on the counter. Italy will be different can see it being quite a cagey game that could be decided on a moment of brilliance. Again set pieces are key for England if Chiellini is out there's a potential weakness on defending corners/set piece but at the other end Italy have probably the most dangerous set piece taker in world football in Pirlo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am 
Major General
Major General

conscience wrote:
Spawny wrote:

Oh no... that's not started again has it? :lol:

It always amuses me those who always expect that we'll win 'cause The Sun or whoever said we would lol. I think we have a chance is all, new manager, new approach and all that, plus he's got some international experience so the players should be prepared properly etc. And I'm inspired a little by the impact of some of the newbies like Welbeck, Walcott, even Carroll at times. That doesn't mean I expect England to march to the final though, we'll have to earn that right and it'll be the fight of their lives to progress, especially now the opposition just got much stronger (with respect to Ukraine).

Of course it has... we managed the whole "low expectations" bit for two matches, then when Rooney was available again suddenly we were gonna win the thing :lol:

One bloke on 606 has decided that we're going to play Greece in the semi final and win, then play Spain in the final and beat them. Cos apparently we're now that good that nobody can stand in our way, and Greece are somehow going to beat Germany with ease.

Hodgson is doing a good job so far though, that's a plus.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The players are doing their best to keep the hype down as well..Rooney, Gerrard, Hodge all said last night, let's not get carried away, Italy are a really tough side, take one game at a time, can't think about the Semi final etc.

Most of the pundits are still saying we havent a hope in hell, we''re poor apart from Gerrard and we need Rooney to be on top form if we're to have any chance at all.

It's unfortunate that we just have a lot of silly people around who don't really watch any football outside of the odd England game..then they get on the radio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am 
Major General
Major General

borocooper wrote:
The players are doing their best to keep the hype down as well..Rooney, Gerrard, Hodge all said last night, let's not get carried away, Italy are a really tough side, take one game at a time, can't think about the Semi final etc.

Most of the pundits are still saying we havent a hope in hell, we''re poor apart from Gerrard and we need Rooney to be on top form if we're to have any chance at all.

It's unfortunate that we just have a lot of silly people around who don't really watch any football outside of the odd England game..then they get on the radio.

Is that the Rooney that shouldn't have played? :p

The other thing is that people keep talking about Greece in 04, Denmark in 92, etc and saying that they won so we can. Not realising that the current Spain and Germany sides (in particular) have great strength and depth to their squads, and that the odds of getting by both are pretty long.

The guy claiming that we'll play Greece in the semi final was off his head :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Spawny wrote:
borocooper wrote:

Is that the Rooney that shouldn't have played? :p

The other thing is that people keep talking about Greece in 04, Denmark in 92, etc and saying that they won so we can. Not realising that the current Spain and Germany sides (in particular) have great strength and depth to their squads, and that the odds of getting by both are pretty long.

The guy claiming that we'll play Greece in the semi final was off his head :lol:

Didn't say he shouldn't have played! Just that he shouldn't have started..I was still fully behind saying that when he fluffed that header too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 am 
Major General
Major General

borocooper wrote:
Didn't say he shouldn't have played! Just that he shouldn't have started..I was still fully behind saying that when he fluffed that header too.

:lol:

I thought he was cack TBF, his touch was off, his passing was poor, and he seemed totally unable to jump more than about half an inch off the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:37 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Aye, I did think he was totally off the boil, his touch was pretty dreadful. But as he's likely to start from now on, hopefully that's all the cack out of his system. Just glad that 2nd chance hit him in the face in a place where he couldnt miss :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:48 am 
Major General
Major General

borocooper wrote:
Aye, I did think he was totally off the boil, his touch was pretty dreadful. But as he's likely to start from now on, hopefully that's all the cack out of his system. Just glad that 2nd chance hit him in the face in a place where he couldnt miss :p

Hopefully, although I doubt it TBH. He was hardly setting the world alight towards the end of last season. Don't worry, when we go out to Italy and he doesn't score a hat trick the press will crucify him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Joseph S Blatter ‏@SeppBlatter

After last night’s match #GLT is no longer an alternative but a necessity.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That's an official twitter account too

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:59 am 
Major General
Major General

Serbinator wrote:

So are linesmen who give offside :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Serbinator wrote:

Me and my mate said that it would happen now after England benefited from it.

Thought England were very average again, but as long as the results are coming, I don't really care.

The real tests start now though.

MCFC - PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2011/12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Let's not get on our usual high horse FIFA have been testing this technology in friendlies before the tournament they used it at Wembley for our game vs Belgium and in youth tournaments to see if it works.

They want a system that is 100% accurate and can give a decision with 1 second to the referee that's a pretty high standard but if we are going to use technology it has to be that good otherwise we might as well stick to what we've got.

Imagine FIFA introduce a system that is clearly shown to be wrong football is to fluid a game it's not stop start like cricket/tennis or american football and they don't want the long waits you get in Rugby.

The idiots slamming those officials on the line at slow motion speed going frame by frame they proved it just crossed the line. Now in real time that ball was probably at that point for less than 1 second and you expect a man to be able to say without doubt that it was in.

Also, anyone else noticed how little shirt pulling there's been on set pieces? Why do you think that is? It's because those blokes behind the goal are looking for it and defenders have been on there best behaviour because I imagine they've been told that if the refs see it they will give the penalty.

On the game there's still work to do Ashley Young needs to improve his position defensively as Cole was getting dragged to wide we need to be a tight compact unit like we were vs France it's not a huge thing but better teams would have punished us last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:18 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The thing with the guy on the line though..he didnt even seem to look at it, you'd think you want to be slightly behind the line looking behind the post..so if you see the ball you know its in..he was staring at the post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next