Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: England Vs Ukraine
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:30 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
The thing with the guy on the line though..he didnt even seem to look at it, you'd think you want to be slightly behind the line looking behind the post..so if you see the ball you know its in..he was staring at the post.

The post is the same width as the line so I guess if they're looking directly through both posts they're looking to see if the ball clearly breaks the line they're looking through.I guess it's even harded when the ball is in the air as well when it's on the ground you can at least try and use the line as a reference point to make the call.

The problem is they don't have the view from above which is the one that is definitive if you're slightly behind to the side of the post you're not looking right down the line that the ball has to cross.

Basically it's still a pretty impossible job unless you get ones like the Lampard or Pedro Mendes ones where the ball is well in the goal those split second ones they're still going to be cautious and not give them.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Thing is, if that goal had been given to Ukraine, then people would be complaining that it should've been called offside in the first place... so where do you stop with the video technology? The officials last night got the right conclusion, but for the wrong reasons, surely that's better than getting the wrong outcome for the right reasons?

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
borocooper wrote:
The thing with the guy on the line though..he didnt even seem to look at it, you'd think you want to be slightly behind the line looking behind the post..so if you see the ball you know its in..he was staring at the post.

The post is the same width as the line so I guess if they're looking directly through both posts they're looking to see if the ball clearly breaks the line they're looking through.I guess it's even harded when the ball is in the air as well when it's on the ground you can at least try and use the line as a reference point to make the call.

The problem is they don't have the view from above which is the one that is definitive if you're slightly behind to the side of the post you're not looking right down the line that the ball has to cross.

Basically it's still a pretty impossible job unless you get ones like the Lampard or Pedro Mendes ones where the ball is well in the goal those split second ones they're still going to be cautious and not give them.

So...what we need is for them to be lowered to above the goal on a wire from the top of the stadium, Mission Impossible style? I'm all for it!

Also..

Rio doing his bit to keep the hype down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Just put a guy in the stands with the director to watch the replay they'd of been able to say within 1 minute if that ball went over the line of not.

Spawny is right though in that case 2 wrongs did make a right yes the ball went over the line but the official behind the goal missed it well the official on the side also missed the fact that the guy who put him through was a yard offside when the ball was played through to him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
"It was obvious that we gave everything on the pitch, we gave it our best shot. I can honestly say that my soul was left on that pitch, and I think I need a few people to carry me off the pitch because I was literally dead" - Ivan Rakitic, or Croatia's Jamie Redknapp, offers his thoughts on exiting the competition.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:45 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

how about 2 guide dogs on each goalpost?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:21 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Spawny wrote:
Thing is, if that goal had been given to Ukraine, then people would be complaining that it should've been called offside in the first place... so where do you stop with the video technology? The officials last night got the right conclusion, but for the wrong reasons, surely that's better than getting the wrong outcome for the right reasons?

Very good point. Surely the right outcome is the most desirable thing?

And if TV is so definitive with it's conclusive proof, I dunno why the 4th official or even three referees can't have mini television sets on them so they can just watch it from 6 different angles in slo-mo like the rest of us. :D

The biggest problem with the technology though, is that like pretty much any technology it will be hacked at some point, and with big betting money at stake there's no doubt it will be sooner rather than later (if it hasn't been already). Then we're no better off, as the ball beeps 5 times/blows up/reboots as rival groups try to all signal at the same time lol.