Highscores: 2
Image Germany v Italy Image

Quote:
Venue: National Stadium, Warsaw
Date: Thursday, 28 June
Kick-off: 19:45 BST

Coverage: Live on BBC One, BBC Radio 5 live and BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Germany's Bastian Schweinsteiger has been declared fit despite having treatment on a nagging ankle injury.

Joachim Loew may recall Mario Gomez, Lukas Podolski and Thomas Mueller after resting the trio against Greece.

Italy's Giorgio Chiellini, Daniele De Rossi and Ignazio Abate are all injury doubts for coach Cesare Prandelli.

He could again revert to a three-man backline if Abate is ruled out as his other right-back option Christian Maggio is suspended.

Italy team doctor Enrico Castellacci refused to be more specific about Abate, Chiellini and De Rossi's chances of making Thursday's game, other than reassuring fans: "We are doing everything possible."

Schweinsteiger said: "I am 100% fit and very much looking forward to the game.

"I have trained twice fully and I feel good."

Loew reiterated the importance of the influential Schweinsteiger to his team after the midfielder participated in a full training session with the rest of the squad on Monday despite his nagging ankle injury.
Germany v Italy

"He has fantastic stamina," said Loew. "We will get a good performance [from him].

"He is one of our leaders. He has matured tremendously over the last few years and I think in the first three group games he was very good."

Germany striker Miroslav Klose, 34, plays his club football in Rome for Serie A side Lazio.

The veteran forward explained on Tuesday how he plans to use his Italian to eavesdrop on the opposition and relay any of Italy's tactics to his German team-mates.

"I'll try to be a bit of a spy and pass on any bits I hear," he said.

"I should be able to pick up a few sentences and pass them on if they are helpful. I don't think it will be too loud [inside National Stadium] for that."

MATCH PREVIEW

Two themes have dominated the build-up to the second Euro 2012 semi-final - fear and revenge. Disadvantaged by two days fewer rest, not to mention playing extra-time, Italy have drawn strength from their remarkable record against the Germans, who have failed to beat the Azzurri in all seven previous encounters at major tournaments. Man-of-the-moment Andrea Pirlo says: "They are afraid of us - we are at the level of Spain".

Pirlo and goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon are the only survivors from the Italian side that started the last competitive clash, which the Azzurri won 2-0 to reach the 2006 World Cup final.

Veteran Germany striker Miroslav Klose concedes the defeat in Dortmund was a "trauma" while captain Philipp Lahm admits "of course we still have that [match] in our minds". But coach Joachim Loew, who was assistant to Jurgen Klinsmann at the time, refuses to dwell on the past: "In football there is no such thing as revenge. The past plays absolutely no role for us or for our young players who may know things only from history."

If any squad should not feel burdened by previous failures it is this one - the youngest Germany have ever selected for a European Championship. Those young legs should ensure Loew's side do not run out of gas quite as dramatically as Italy's quarter-final victims England. But to avoid getting the run-around from the Azzurri, Germany will have to succeed where the Three Lions failed - and devise a plan to stop Pirlo. The 33-year-old playmaker completed 117 passes on Sunday, more than the combined tally of England's four starting midfielders.

Italy may be unbeaten in competitive games under Cesare Prandelli, but the Germans have won their last 15 meaningful matches. The Azzurri have not fallen behind at Euro 2012, but the last time Germany trailed in a European Championship match (including qualifying) was the final four years ago. Germany have the form, yet Italy the history - something has to give.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

The sides have met seven times in competitive games, all of which came at either World Cups or European Championships. Germany have yet to win (D4, L3). Italy beat the Germans in the World Cup semi-finals in 1970 and 2006.
The two previous European Championship clashes both ended in group stage draws; 1-1 in 1988 and 0-0 in 1996. The latter result eliminated Italy.

Germany

The Germans have won their last 15 competitive games, a new world record, according to Uefa.

They have previously contested six European Championship semi-finals, failing to reach the final just once - a 2-1 defeat to the Dutch in 1988. Overall, they have reached the semi-final of major tournaments 17 times, losing on just six occasions.

According to Opta, Mats Hummels and Sami Khedira are the only outfield players to have completed four Euro 2012 games without conceding a single foul.

Italy

Italy have failed to reach the final in two of the 10 semi-finals they have played at major tournaments. They lost to USSR at Euro 88 and to Argentina (on penalties) at the 1990 World Cup.

They have failed to score in their two previous European Championship semi-finals. They progressed to the final in 1968 after winning a coin toss following a 0-0 draw with the USSR. The Soviets exacted revenge 20 years later, winning 2-0 at the same stage.

The Italians have been involved in eight goalless draws at European Championship finals - more than any other side.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:23 pm 
General
General

Scott Murray - Guardian.co.uk

Marco Tardelli's famous celebration in the 1982 World Cup final, caught from the wrong angle, and Fabio Grosso's ersatz tribute at the 2006 World Cup, the full-frontal version

Italy recall Giorgio Chiellini, back from a thigh injury: Buffon, Balzaretti, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Pirlo, Marchisio, Montolivo, De Rossi, Balotelli, Cassano.
Subs: Sirigu, Ogbonna, Thiago Motta, Abate, Di Natale, Giaccherini, Borini, Giovinco, Diamanti, Nocerino, De Sanctis.

Germany recall Lukas Podolski, Mario Gomez and Toni Kroos: Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Kroos, Ozil, Podolski, Gomez.
Subs: Wiese, Gundogan, Schmelzer, Howedes, Schurrle, Klose, Muller, Bender, Mertesacker, Gotze, Reus, Zieler.

Kick off: 7.45pm BST, 8.45pm CEST (local time in Warsaw).

History very much on Italy's side, then. But history was on France's side against Spain at the weekend too, and look what happened there. Recent form strongly favours Joachim Low's superb team: their brand of Das Bundestikiundtaka has won them 15 competitive games on the bounce, breaking a record previously held jointly by Spain, France and Holland. The Italians, meanwhile, might have swaggered around Mr Roy's Special Traffic Cone Set the other day, but they've only won one of their last seven matches in regulation time. And that was against Ireland, who, well, y'know. But with Andrea Pirlo in majestic form - and Germany unlikely to be forgetting that competitive record any time soon - they're in with a chance alright. So there's no reason why this can't be a classic. Please let this be a classic. Please.

And Italy's big competitive wins have been BIG competitive wins. First up was the famous 4-3 victory in the sweltering semi-final of the 1970 World Cup, Gigi Riva and Gianni Rivera trumping the extra-time heroics of Gerd Muller and a shoulder-knacked Franz Beckenbauer. Then came the 1982 World Cup final, Marco Tardelli and all that. And then came the 2006 World Cup semi-final, Marco Tardelli Fabio Grosso and all that.

So, to those past meetings, and the Germans and the Italians have served up some classic action over the years. None of it has been to the satisfaction of Die Mannschaft, who have never won a competitive fixture against the Azzurri. They've played seven times in World Cups and European Championships, and Italy have four wins and three draws. The Italians even have the edge in friendly competition, winning 14 of 30 games, compared to Germany's seven.

BUT LET US EMBRACE OPTIMISM!!! IT'S NOT TOO LATE!!! If Germany and Italy pull a minor classic out of the bag here - and past meetings suggest there's no reason they won't - and then we get a half-decent final, history might be kind to Euro 2012! Because over-intellectualising Spain's tiki-totalitarianism isn't going to be enough when you try to big this up in ten years' time, I can tell you that for nothing.

Because, let's be brutally honest with ourselves, Euro 2012 has been a thundering disappointment. Average group stages; awful, predictable knockout games; stifling tactics. Good luck to you, dear ol' reader pal o' mine, if you've gleaned some entertainment out of it, but plenty of us have been less fortunate. Three weeks we've given over to this. And the bleeding from the eyes!

Right, we've only got two games to save a football tournament here. Los geht's Deutschland! Forza Italia!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Balotelli scores 1-0 Italy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:23 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

What a second goal -what a player !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

How strange that Germany were a shadow of what they've been in this tournament. And hats off to Italy. :tiphat:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Germany did the same thing they did when they met Spain in 2010 - play underwhelmingly and lose. Hummels and badstuber had unusually awful moments in defence (Lahm too), and Balotelli finally remembered how to shoot - deadly mix!

Now I hope Italy wins simply from preventing all international tournaments from becoming a borefest like the ECL has in recent seasons with the barca machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 pm 
Major General
Major General

Balotelli .. :bow: Learn something MR Rooney :p ..I hope italy wins ... :thumbup:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I know I'm a massive fan, but De Rossi was really good last night. The whole of the Italian midfiled played really well, and Mario was just different class. I hope he doesn't bring that game to the PL next year!.

What happened to Germany, they just didn't show up in the first half. You've got to say the coach picked the wrong team.

It was good to see Klinsman at half time though :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 am 
General
General

Well I missed the match but what a result, people write Italy off at their own peril as they seem to play badly and still win. Mind you didn't I read a stat that Germany had never beaten Italy in a competitive game? That's some record they just continued.

Gotta say Spain are still the favourites, but I do hope Italy win it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Balotelli's second goal was so good..

and Cassano's little turn before setting up the first was great too.

Hey, maybe we did alright getting a 0-0 against that lot?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
borocooper wrote:
Balotelli's second goal was so good..

and Cassano's little turn before setting up the first was great too.

Hey, maybe we did alright getting a 0-0 against that lot?

Like your thinking. Just a shame we lost on pens cos we'd have done Germany over :D

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Technically this means England are better than Germany. They'll be copying England's youth setups soon, resulting in them having an Andy Carrol clone playing up top for them in the 2024 Euros and a racist playing at the back.

It's the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:37 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

And I still don't rate Gomez

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:42 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That Italy midfield was amazing people are going nuts over Pirlo but De Rossi & Marchisio are doing an amazing job protecting him they basically do all the leg work and protect Pirlo.

Cassano was on fire last night makes you wonder just how good he could of been if he'd been a bit more serious in his young days that turn and cross for Mario's first was a dream.

I've been seriously impressed with the Italian defence as well I've not seen much of Juventus this season as I don't really watch Serie A but if those guys can play that well in Europe next season Juve could be a serious threat.

What's great to see with Italy is they've finally shaken off the cliche of being boring and hard to beat they went toe to toe with a very attacking Germany side and won yes they defended brilliantly but the midfield when they had the chance flooded forward.

Probably the game of the tournament so far imo what this tournament for me has really lacked is a real back and forth game the only one we've had was England vs Sweden the knockout round matches have largely been 1 way traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 pm 
Major General
Major General

Marchisio has really impressed me this tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Khedira has really stepped up his game in this tournament he seems to be let of the leash a bit more with Germany and really drives into the box more than he does at Real where he often sits a bit deeper.

Marchisio has been excellant what pains me is despite what the records show the BBC were still trying to make out that Italy are a defensive side. If they watched any of the qualification or build up games they'd see that under Prandelli they're very much a passing side who like to get on the ball. Yes they're still fairly solid at the back but going forward they're entertaining as well the key so far seems to be the ball down the middle.

They killed England with this and last night Germany never really dealt with it as they don't play wingers opposition full backs are encouraged to get forward leaving space in the channels for Balotteli and Cassano.

Was good to see Vialli as a pundit last night he at least offered a bit more of an up to date view of the Italian side rather than just the usual thing about the catanaccio style that worked so well for them.

Italy really are a bogey side for Germany in major tournaments.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

I have to say the Italian defence now looks close to the legendary Italian defences of yore. Having Chiellini back made a massive difference, and Balzaretti in particular was excellent. De Rossi as Mr C mentioned was also class, and Andrea Pirlo has simply ruled this tournament. Credit to Mario B too. That second strike in particular was great. I think the first was more of a mistake by Hummels rather than any great skill from Cassano.

Really disappointed with the Germans, they've always been an 'almost' team. But the light at the end of the tunnel for them is that they were the youngest team at the tournament, and the potential in that squad is simply breathtaking. Muller, Ozil, Gotze, Kroos, Reus, Schurrle, Neuer, Badstuber, Alaba, Hummels, etc. I think they're going to dominate the footballing scene for a long time once this team matures and gels together.

I hope Italy beat Spain. Can't stand them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:58 pm 
Major General
Major General

Riquelminho wrote:
I hope Italy beat Spain. Can't stand them.

:thumbup:

Seconded.

Agree about Khedira as well, he looks a different player when given a less restrictive role.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Crazy how quick the turnaround on Spain has happened..everyone seemed to love them a year or so ago..now most people want them beaten.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:30 pm 
Major General
Major General

I don't mind them as players individualls, in fact I actually quite like a lot of them (Iniesta is probably one of my favourite players around, and I like Alonso a lot), but their games are usually pretty dire in terms of entertainment. It's always like that though, when a team starts to dominate, people turn against them, hence why so many people want to see United fail at every opportunity.