AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower


It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31162
Location: Milton Keynes
Did you really just call Germany an "almost" team Riq? :coat:

I'd take runner up, runner up, semi final & semi final over 1/4 final, didn't qualify, 2nd round & 1/4 final performances England have given us.

I think peoples issue with Spain is that when Barca do the suffocating thing to teams at least there's Messi to put a bit of flair on it with Spain they don't really have that spark who after 300 passes will beat two men then dink the keeper.

Spain are like a boa constrictor against nearly every team they slowly squeeze the life out of you until eventually you've got nothing left and they put one past you. I don't see why they need both Busquets and Alonso which forces them to play Iniesta out wide for me it should be Xavi/Iniesta + 1 of the two holding players.

That means they can put Pedro/Navas who have a bit of a spark about them out wide I guesss people are just sick of watching such one sided games of football. The game is at it's most entertaining when it swings back and forth not 1 team defending the penalty box while the other slowly works out how to get through. It's not necessarily Spain's fault that they're boring the fact that they're so good with the ball makes teams fear them but as Portugal showed last night if you've got the balls to push high against them you can really rattle them.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:21 am
Posts: 7633
True the opposition doesn't help..but people used to do that vs Arsenal..and I still used to like watching Arsenal. I think it is, as you say, that it's just 300 passes and then they might try a shot from 5 yards out. I think people get bored of repetition. People sometimes like to see someone running at a defence with pace and tricking them..that's why people like(d) Messi, Ronaldo, Fat Ronaldo, Giggs, Juninho, Zola..etc

Variety is entertaining..good passing football isn't necessarily.

_________________
JSP wrote:
No longer do you have to settle for a fatty-boom-batty at the end of the night you can get yourself a reasonable looking sl*g.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:28 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31162
Location: Milton Keynes
I think most fans can appreciate a passing side who are patient but like you say there needs to be an end product when you've got a team who have 70% possession like Spain but only manage say 10 shots in a game it's not fun.

Xavi doesn't get you off your seat with anything he does he's a sit back and admire player and there's nothing wrong with that.

However, I prefer the players like Messi, Ronaldo or Henry who whenever they get the ball you think something is about to happen. Spain just don't have one of those they lack the explosion that makes you jump out of your seat or shout "did you just see that"

When you watch a game as a neutral you want to see a contest Spain are like a Klitchko in boxing not very exciting to watch but technically so good that they've almost become unbeatable as you can't hurt them and they're happy to take the points victory. If you don't have a biased interest in the game what you really want are the Rocky style slug fests where teams go back and forth creating chances at either end.

I just think Spain play a more boring version of the Barcelona style possibly because the coach in under pressure to pick Real Madrid players so he shoe horns Alonso into a midfield that doesn't need him.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 8003
Location: The Library
Highscores: 1
JSP wrote:
Did you really just call Germany an "almost" team Riq? :coat:

I'd take runner up, runner up, semi final & semi final over 1/4 final, didn't qualify, 2nd round & 1/4 final performances England have given us.


I guess it's because they haven't won a competition in a long time, I wasn't comparing them to England. They come so close and then get undone at the last minute, whereas England don't even come close. :lol:

The German's are going to win a competition soon, and they'll have deserved it.

_________________
Do nothing; nothing will change.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:03 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31162
Location: Milton Keynes
Riquelminho wrote:
I guess it's because they haven't won a competition in a long time, I wasn't comparing them to England. They come so close and then get undone at the last minute, whereas England don't even come close. :lol:

The German's are going to win a competition soon, and they'll have deserved it.


I know 16 years it must be brutal for them.

They've come up a bit short in this one with a very young side but there's nothing to really worry about I see no reason why they can't win in Brazil if they continue to improve. Brazil aren't anything particularly special, Argentina are pretty much a 1 man team & Uraguay by then may be weaker as not sure Forlan will still be about.

I think Hummells got shown up a bit last night with a lack of experience but looks a fine player him and Bastuber could get a great partnership going and maybe they missed having a fit Mertesacker as he organises that defence.

Personally I think if they'd of started Klose/Reus last night over Gomez/Podolski they'd have won but that's just a theory maybe Low loyalty to those who got them to the tournament weakened them a bit let the heart rule the head and all that.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Posts: 11549
Highscores: 12
I thought Podolski was massively disappointing throughout the tournament.

_________________
Erik The Viking wrote:
I personally hope Corden dies in a house fire.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31162
Location: Milton Keynes
Have to agree about Podolski

Was suprised he came back in for the game last night


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:21 am
Posts: 7633
Crap form just in time for signing for Arsenal.

_________________
JSP wrote:
No longer do you have to settle for a fatty-boom-batty at the end of the night you can get yourself a reasonable looking sl*g.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Germany v Italy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:13 pm 
Offline
General
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 17205
Location: Over there.
Highscores: 2
New beginning for him at Arsenal though, and who knows how well he will adapt to the league here... though if he hits the ground running he could well do a good job for Arsenal. It's always a bit wait and see when they've never played in the Premier League before.

_________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron