AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: General Euro Match Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Ozil was best player ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
Portugal have no quality midfielders - Veloso, Moutinho, Meireles - all sh*t (well except Meireles can shoot now and again).

Well SBH. This is MMFY's thoughts on Moutinho.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:27 am 
National Hero
National Hero

idontfeardeath wrote:
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
Portugal have no quality midfielders - Veloso, Moutinho, Meireles - all sh*t (well except Meireles can shoot now and again).

Well SBH. This is MMFY's thoughts on Moutinho.

Was this before the Euros? What were your impressions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

What did we all think of the Euro's in general?

I though the groups were brilliant this ridiculously complicated rules when teams are tied on points meant there were only 2 games in the group where 1 of the teams didn't have anything to play for in the last game.

The knockout were a bit of a let down there wasn't a classic match as all of the games in the 1/4 finals were dominated by 1 team who then went on to win. The first semi between Spain/Portugal was a bit of a stalemate but the second semi Italy/Germany was probably my game of the tournament.

The final will go down in history just think it was a real shame that Italy had to play the last 30 minutes with 10 men because of injury as if they had managed to score I wanted to see how Spain reacted.

My main problem with the tournament was a lack of long range screamers no one drilled one top corner from a ridiculous distance probably because for once the ball didn't move all over the place when you stuck your foot through it.

Goal of the tournament: Ibrahimovic
Player of the tournament: Ronaldo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Was during the Denmark game I believe.

I used to really like Moutinho then he appeared to vanish. I didn't realize he was still at Porto. I thought he'd moved to Serie A.

I think he'd make a very good signing for us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thoroughly enjoyed the Euros. Thought there were some really good games and the Football got slated too much.

Goal of the tournament: VDV
Player of the tournament: Ronaldo
Favourite match of the tournament: Portugal vs Spain. Best 0-0 I've seen in a long time. I watched it with about 10 Spanish people and seeing them go through the motions like the English have too was very amusing.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Veloso went to Serie A signed for Genoa 2 or 3 seasons ago when they were both as Lisbon we used to get linked to them every summer/winter as they were the next of the production line. He signed for Genoa shortly after being linked to Bolton under Gary Megson that's how far he fell :lol:

Around the same time Moutinho moved to Porto and to be fair has rebuilt his reputation he was a key part of the all conquering AVB side from 2 seasons ago.

I like Veloso but I can't explain the reason why he has got amazing ability just don't think he's really got the hunger for the game he sort of reminds me a bit of Tom Huddlestone got everything a footballer needs but for some reason he's just not as good as he should be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:08 am 
National Hero
National Hero

:thumbup:

I thought the Euros was an excellent tournament with some incredible individual and team displays. 1st half of portugal spain was brilliant , pity the portugese couldn't maintain that for the 90 mins.
For me Ibrahimovic's goal was the GOTT.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Fully agree with all of that SBH. First half of the Spain Portugal game was awesome.

I really don't like International football but this tournament was really good, thoroughly enjoyed it. Total opposite to the WC. That in itself should deter UEFA from expanding the Euro's to include more teams, as it completely dilutes the competition. As it is pretty much all the teams are of a decent standard and capable of qualifying from the group (with the exception of Holland :lol: ).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:08 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There is an alternative argument to say that by getting more teams at the tournament you over time increase the standard in the smaller nations. You only have to look at how quickly the African nations have improved since the world cup was expanded.

The theory I guess is that by expanding the Euro's over time the quality of the smaller nations will go up as they'll qualify on a more regular basis.

As long as they keep this complicated group deciding system it should mean most games will still have something riding on them going into the last game. If they're going to 24 teams as well that will probably mean 6 groups of 4 with the top 2 plus the 4 best 3rd placed teams (god knows how they'll work that out) going into the second round. I don't think they've actually announced how 24 teams will work because if they bring in a second round you still only get rid of 8 teams from the groups. How would seeding work? for the second round the 6 group winners plus 2 best runner ups?

Or do you go for 8 groups of 3 with top 2 in each group going through?

Basically they're going to make a very simple tournament way more complicated I'd rather see it stay how it is but I understand why they're changing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I enjoyed the Euro's too. Much better than the world cup. I don't think they should expand it. Too many dead rubbers in the WC. I can't remember one decent game from the last WC.
I don't remember one bad one from this tourny really.

In answer to how it will work. They'll ask Sepp to help and he'll change the basic principles of maths.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

From a neutral point of view I'm sure the games where Germany absolutely smashed England and then Argentina were entertaining games.

The problem from memory was just that a lot of the bigger nations just didn't really turn up France/Italy crashed out in the group and Brazil/Argentina were average teams but with great individual talent that didn't really shine. There wasn't a big name player who turned up and really grabbed the tournament the big names players didn't really shine. Sneijder was probably the star of the tournament he was exellant how he didn't win the World Player of the Year in 2010 was a joke treble with Inter and scored pretty much all the goals to get Holland to a world cup final didn't even make the top 3.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16